11.15.2010

The Pandora Posession

Perhaps I should say addiction. I recently discovered Pandora; the more I listen to it, the more fascinated by it I become. As I mentioned once before, I have often found myself craving particular notes as opposed to specific lyrics. What I'm learning from Pandora is a whole new vocabulary. I am a person who loves to learn and who loves music; I am also passionate and can be a bit...obsessive in my enthusiasm when I discover something new. Or rather, when I discover the why behind something old. Perhaps obsessive is the wrong word - a word that stems from an insecurity that says "this isn't normal" or "my, aren't you odd". When I make a discovery, I delve into it. I research it. I attempt to understand it because in understanding the pieces of my life I come to understand both myself and my relationship to the world.

Tonight I learned that I greatly prefer major to minor key tonality. I am attracted to acoustic sonority and vocal-centric aesthetics. I prefer acoustic instrumentation: guitar, piano and strings. I continue with my finger-stretching exercises and have moved on from staring stupidly at my guitar to some basic fingering exercises. I have filled up my plate rather full with writing to get paid, writing to finish the first draft of my book by my birthday, reading books, listening to music, teaching myself how to play guitar (attempting to teach is perhaps more accurate) and now becoming familiar with my heart's musical desires. At this rate it will take me years to gain any sort of proficiency playing my Luna, but it will be well worth the effort.

Listening to: Pandora - Indie Singer-Songwriter station

Favorite songs:
Ingrid Michaelson, "Maybe"
Kate Nash, "Merry Happy"
Jose Gonzalez, "Heartbeats"

1 comments:

Adrienne said...

Actually, I seem to prefer major key tonality in my indie music and minor key in my classical music. Huh.