As I am nearing the 200 page mark in my book, I find myself both befuddled that I have made it this far and nervously excited about the next step. It is rare that I show anybody my work before it is finished (probably why I never show my work - it's never finished,) and moving from that to foisting my work off on anybody I can get to read it and offer (kindly phrased) constructive criticism is somewhat (i.e., extremely) nerve-wracking.
That wasn't why I came back here today, though. It's been months, and a lot has changed - although on the surface it seems like things are pretty much the same. I remain in my house, and while I am growing to like the home itself, I am steadfast on my position regarding its location. However, the realization that renting the house as opposed to my original desire to sell it would bring in more income over the long haul and thus free me from the guilt of moving as soon as humanly possible has engendered a certain amount of contentment regarding my situation.
So, I am writing more, which makes me feel more like my creative self as well as reading and listening to classical music, which makes me feel more like my intellectual self. I continue to study Spanish and Chinese, although not as often as I'd like. I think the guilt resulting from my feelings regarding the house it put me into a funk for a few months, from which I've very gratefully emerged. I have narrowed down my geographical relocation to either D.C. or San Francisco and areas of California north of it (as opposed to towards the LA region, which I have no desire to even visit, really.) The house will be fixed in the spring, and hopefully I can continue my work with K. over the phone if I do relocate to the west coast.
So why am I here? Maybe in part I miss sending my thoughts out into the world now that I am proudly Facebook free. I've also been reading articles about employers moving from traditional resumes to looking at potential employees web/social media presence, so I'm looking into moving the blog to the domain name I purchased years ago and trying to transform it into a "real" writing-oriented website. I'm cataloging my progress and holding onto it as a talisman against Elmiraitis. And now, back to work. At least a hundred pages to go. May the force be with you.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter - it's the diff. between the lightning bug and the lightning." - Mark Twain
Listening to: Gotye, "Somebody That I Used to Know"
Reading: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

0 comments:
Post a Comment